UNIVERSITY OF UTAH
Salt Lake City, UT Royal L. Garff Presidential Chair in Marketing, David Eccles School of Business (July, 2006 to present). Research interests in measuring and improving new product development processes, obtaining customer inputs to new product development, decreasing time to commercialize products, and management of technology. Teach MBA businesstobusiness marketing and the MBA marketing core.
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS, URBANACHAMPAIGN Champaign, IL Professor of Business Administration, Marketing Group (August, 1997 to July, 2006). Co Director Technology & Management Program (1997 – 1999). Taught MBA businessto business marketing, MBA new product development and the MBA marketing core. MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY Cambridge, MA
Visiting Professor (January 2005 – August 2005).
UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO, GRADUATE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS Chicago, IL
Associate Professor of Marketing and Production Management (July, 1993 to August, 1997). Assistant Professor of Marketing and Production Management(July, 1989 to June, 1993). Taught businesstobusiness marketing, operations management and product development.
MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY Cambridge, MAPh.D. in Management from the Sloan School of Management awarded in June, 1989. Emphasis on the Management of Technology Innovation and Marketing (Special interest in commercializing new products and technologies). Thesis titled "Functionally Integrated New Product Development." Thesis advisor: Prof. John R. Hauser.
HARVARD GRADUATE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS Cambridge, MA
Master in Business Administration received in June, 1981. Emphasized Management of
Technology and Marketing.
PURDUE UNIVERSITY West Lafayette, IN
Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, 1974. Emphasis in polymer science.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND POSITIONS
· American Marketing Association: Utah Chapter Board of Directors (2011 -
· Editor, Journal of Product Innovation Management (1998 - 2003)
· Product Development & Management Association (PDMA)
* Chair, Best Practices in Product Development Research Projects (1995)
* Committee, Comparative Performance Assessment Study (20032004)
* Director (1998 - 2003)
* Treasurer (1994 - 1998)
* CoChair, Product Development Teams Dialogue Conference (1995)
* Vice President, Research (1992 and 1993)
* CoChair, Product Development Success/Failure Measures Task Force
· Institute for the Study of Business Markets (ISBM), The Pennsylvania State
University; Program Director: New Product Development (1995 to present);
Fellow (2004 to present)
· Marketing Science Institute: New Products/Innovation Research Generation
v Marketing Strategy Committee (19931996)
v Practice Committee (2002 - present)
v International Society for Marketing Science, Advisory Board (2003 - present)
The Quilt Auction Guild of The Deseret Foundation: Member, Board of Directors (2011 - present)
The YMCA of Greater Salt Lake: Member, Board of Directors (2009 - present)